Jordan- home, sweet home.
As we were approaching our descent into the Queen Alia International Airport yesterday afternoon, I opened my window shade for the first time after about 7 hours of sleeping, and was bombarded by BROWN. All around brown. And it was the most beautiful site I had ever seen. I smiled and got all "warm and fuzzy" inside as I realized that this is really happening. I am really spending the summer in Jordan.
I realized about a month ago that this is the first time in four years that I will spending the summer in Jordan. I utterly despise humidity, so having this summer without humidity is going to be wonderful (and making returning to horrible humidity that much worse!).
This summer is different, though. I'm not only coming home, but I am going to be experiencing Jordan in a completely different way. The nineteen years I lived here before college, Jordan was, well, "home." I went to school, I went to youth group, I hung out with friends, I did the touristy thing and visited all the sites, and that is the limit of really any selfish teenager who only cares about themselves. This time, though, it's work. In a good way. I get to apply my anthropological studies, work on my Arabic, do social development, teach English, and just get to really know the people a lot better and on a different level than ever before.
With all that said, this is essentially Day 1: arriving, standing in line for 1 1/2 hrs for my Visa (I wish more and more I had dual citizenship!), eating chicken shwarma (prefer lahma [lamb], baas [but] I'll take what I can get), sleeping at 7:30PM, & waking up at 2:30AM. Ah... I love jetlag. *sarcasm*
Stay tune.
No comments:
Post a Comment