What I have deduced so far during my first nine days (yes, it has already been nine days!) here is:
My minor in Arabic means SQUAT! I am embarrassed at just how little I am able to speak and carry on a conversation. You can't imagine how thoroughly frustrating this is for me when I have slaved over 27 hours of Arabic for what? And to be told that my Arabic has actually gotten worse since I lived here three years ago. Again, what really did those 27 hours give me!? Grammar, my friends, means nothing!
I'm trying not to give up too soon in the game. I'm trying to think and breathe as much in Arabic as I possibly can. I have three months to get to the point where I can carry on a decent conversation beyond "Hello, How are you?"
This coming Thursday, I am going out to the village to hang out for about a week with a Peace Corp girl that has been there for the past couple of years. I'll be even more embarrassed if she's able to communicate with the locals more than me when I have 19 years of Jordan under my belt, plus 27 hours of Arabic (not to mention the informal Arabic tutoring and classes I took during my last couple of years in Jordan).
*BIG SIGH*
Goal: PRACTICE YOUR ARABIC AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
(P.S. One day I might actually take a picture & will have more than words to fill up the space. Until then, I hope this doesn't discourage you from reading!)
HA! Words are good too! Keep up that Arabic! All your efforts will pay off!
ReplyDeleteHang in there, sis...I agree, your hard work will pay off! Have fun practicing!
ReplyDeleteUh - you can tell I'm reading your blog and commenting WAY after the fact! Just to encourage you - your comprehension is mumtaz! Remember, you use to not talk much in English either, but now you do! I think that started when you were about 2. (o:............... So, don't fret. It will come. If you come back to Jordan for summer 2011, you are forbidden to speak any English unless it's "Let's go to Chili's!" And you have to say that in Spanish. BTW I hear you speak great Arabic when nobody is listening.
ReplyDelete